A wide range of products to help bakers throughout the world
Mühlenchemie has earned itself a good name throughout the world. We offer our customers individual, tailor-made solutions created from our range of products. In all the continents.
We build quality into flour!
Mühlenchemie’s core field of competence is flour improvement, from classic flour treatment to ready-mixed and composite flours. We work according to the following principles:
- Doughs must be within the rheological optimum.
- Doughs must be within the enzymatic optimum.
- The rheological optimum and the enzymatic optimum must be properly balanced.
Although many mills rate flours according to analytical quality data, these yield too little information on processing properties. The quality of the baked goods depends on the characteristics of the doughs made from the flour:
- rheological behaviour
- kneading tolerance
- surface moisture
- fermentation stability.
Only dough testing and baking trials provide the information essential for rating the quality of a flour.
Flour quality depends on numerous factors; we ensure consistent quality
Wheat is one of the world’s most important staple foods. Over 450 million tons of wheat are processed for human consumption every year. With no other basic food do quality fluctuations in the raw material have such an effect on the condition of the product and its processing characteristics as with wheat flour. Factors such as the grain variety, the nature of the soil, climate, harvesting conditions, storage and milling cause deviations from the quality specifications that may result in disruptions during processing and also during baking.
Typical reasons for poor quality
- Not enough quality wheat
- Weak wheat qualities (e.g. for biscuit production) are not available
- Uniform lots are not available
- Quality fluctuations between one consignment and the next
- Unsuitable wheat varieties
- Grain lots damaged by harvesting conditions or storage.
Tasks of flour improvement
- To compensate for a low gluten or protein content
- To compensate for damage to the harvest caused by the weather
- To optimize wheat blends etc.
- To correct over-strong wheat varieties
- To balance qualities with moist, weak doughs
- To improve harvest-damaged lots
- To help incorporate substitutes (e.g. maize, tapioca).
Poor or unsuitable quality occurs in all parts of the world. The right flour treatment is often the only way to make tasty baked products at reasonable prices.
Enzyme technology as a core field of competence
Solutions with added value are part of our successful corporate philosophy. Research into the baking properties of enzymes in conjunction with emulsifiers, oxidizing agents and other ingredients, with specific applications in mind, is an important basis for such solutions.
With our well-known brands ALPHAMALT, POWERZYM, STERNZYM, PASTAZYM and TIGERZYM we have created pioneering solutions in enzyme technology for bread and other baked products.